Friday, November 28, 2008

Day 28: That's Why They Call It "Work"


My brother commented to me that i don't seem very happy with my job.
It's true, i've been pretty grumpy about it lately.
Students used to ask me how i was, and i'd reply, "i feel very good today."
Lately, i've been saying, "i'm okay."
But i still try and smile when i say it.
The work itself isn't too bad.
Soemtimes it takes great effort not to throttle the kids.
But that's par for the course.
But i don't think that 10 hrs a day should be the norm.
Sometimes less, too often more.
A 40 hr work week would be a cake walk.
Ok, so the stress is less than last year, but the increased class sizes, and the maximum allowable teaching load is smothering my life.
By 6:30, i'm all "I JUST WANT TO GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE."

On the one hand, i'm still pretty new at teaching (i feel).
But on the other hand, there's other staff who have LOTS of experience, who are logging the same hours, it seems.
Fuck, in their shoes, i'd rather retire.
So i'm considering future career changes.
And planning to ask if my boss might have any pointers about how i can streamline my workload.
At the very least, he'll know i don't like the max course load, and maybe will go easy on me when planning next year's schedule.

1.5 months until Spring Festival holiday.

No comments: