Saturday, March 7, 2009

Girls Girls Girls

A childhood friend of mine spent a decent amount of time in Japan in his teens and 20's. He turned into a bit of a player. I recall him once talking about hooking up with women in Japan. I asked him, "But don't you think it's pretty weird, since these women like you 'cause you're... white?"

He answered, "Think about it. If you could meet the coolest people, go to the best art shows and bars, and hang out with gorgeous women, do you think you wouldn't?" I concurred that it could be more interesting that being the wannabe i was at the time, but still conscious of a lingering "But still..." in the back of my head.

Today it seems i know quite a few people in Beijing, though i wouldn't say i have any particularly close friends, save a lone expat.

i axed things with the 19 year old before the break, because the minimal amounts of communication taking place felt like a non-relationship to me. i suggested we consider ourselves single for the break, and asked what she thought of it. No reply. Too bad, 'cause she was really really cool in many ways.

So then there's been kind of a slew of people who i've met as of late, the large majority of whom are single women. Had a handful of dates with a super cute girl from a bar who was a very groovy dancer. She virtually never talked English with me and helped my chinese a ton. In the end we decided that we're better as friends since we're really really different from each other. She's definitely too innocent.

Had a quick hook up with the sexy cell phone pictures girl, which was pretty hilarious. She was clear from the get-go that she's not looking for a bf, and that she wanted to jump me.

And then last night i went to see a couple San Fran mash up djs with the French woman from the photo shoot. After drinking a poorly planned roster of korean wine, cheapo chinese hard liquor, beers and a vodka shot, i ended up quite sick, lost my glasses, and woke up with a headache in my friend's bed. Neither of us is sure if anything should happen with us, since i suspect our mutual friend has a thing for me.

So basically, there's lots of stuff going on, and it's great hanging out with writers, artists, photographers, dancers, and musicians, but i really don't think i've met anyone particularly suitable for me (and frankly don't expect to for a while: i've come to the realization that my personality is a touch... unconventional). Also, my chinese still has a long long long long way to go. Way too often someone will say something to me, and i truly have no idea what the hell they're talking about. So frankly, if milking the "Exotic Westerner" schtick is the thing that grants people the patience to deal with my shitty Chinese... i'll take it.

No comments: