Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Everybody, Get Wikid



Does everyone realize just how much statusq loves Wikipedia?

Really, he does.

I mean, when you need to check FACTS, then Wikipedia is your best friend.

('cause if it's on the internet, it must be true, yadda, yadda).

But really, if you hear that a chicken can live for EIGHTEEN MONTHS WITHOUT A HEAD, then yes, you shake your head and roll your eyes, but then, with a few simple references Wikipedia will force you to accept the incredible REALITY of Mike the Headless Chicken!!!

EIGHTEEN MONTHS!

If forced to choose between a world with no Wikipedia or one with no Youtube, I'd choose the latter.

Everytime Wikipedia asks for money, i happily pull out my wallet, because for the number of times i use the site daily, it's worth it. i actually gave money to them before they ever even asked .

i decided a while ago that i wanted contribute to my favourite site. You know: participant vs observer. And weirdly enough, my favourite Beijing band had no page. So i wrote one. Great. Great experience. Learning experience.

Because, truly i had no f'ing idea that writing a wiki page is way way way more work than i'd thought possible. i requested help three times. My first attempt at publication was rejected, requiring beefed up references. It took me like three months before i finished the bloody thing.

Can you believe there's all these freaking weirdos out there who created 20 million articles for us? Have these people nothing better to do with their time? Nutters.

I take my hat off to them.

Not to put you off: I highly recommend you give it a try, possibly something with less formatting issues than mine.

By the way, HERE is the page I whipped off, for the great BJ band Hedgehog.

No comments: